Wednesday, November 26, 2014

NANO UPdate - Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

So, as you can see by the new little doo-dad on the left, I just won NaNoWriMo! YAY!!

Yes, I was going to wait until Saturday to validate my novel but I've got so many things going on now, I just needed this part to be over with for this year.

No, I did not finish with a completed first draft but I do have about half of the novel in first draft and the rest in synopsis. I'll  know where I left off when I get back to it.

For now, though, I need to decide which of two projects will now benefit from my attention. I'm leaning toward one, my friends are encouraging me toward another.

The one I'm leaning toward is one I've been writing since 1995 and is finally in a place where I'm happy with the the plot direction and much of the writing, I just need to make some minor changes for continuity and basically finish revising the thing so that I can pass it on to some beta readers for the final polish.

The other one is also in the same place but with fewer words. It was intended as a novella while the other one is a full sized novel. Lots to consider in the next few days.

I have also begun a course in copywriting. I'll be signing up for an online version of the same course as soon as some funds show up in my checking account. I have to say that after reading through a bit of the first part of the course, I really think this is the direction I'll go to bring in some stable income while I continue to pursue that all important publishing contract.

As the second week of unemployment continues, I'm still positive about my situation and confident that I will soon be making some decent money at this new career of copywriting. It's an interesting line of work with loads of possibilities and opportunities. I can set my own schedule - potential income is only limited by the amount of hours put in. I am my own boss - I was going to say I no longer have to please a demanding boss but then I've met me so....yeah, that's not true.

I'm excited and a little daunted about this new career I've chosen. Ok, a bit scared would be a more appropriate term but I'm going to do this. I know I can be good at it and it will mean I don't have to go back to 'cube life', as a friend of mine calls it.

Still, the idea that I may never find myself back inside an office building with a regular working schedule, sick time, vacation time, work piling up on a desktop that I can no longer see the bottom of...kind of weird, I must say.

Deep breath. Life is all about change. Those who can adapt will find life a little easier to take. I plan to be one of those individuals. Who knows? You might even one day read an article or book about my experience.

Anything is possible if you believe the impossible can happen.

No comments: