Friday, January 30, 2015

Sabbatical Is Officially Over!

It was actually over yesterday, but tomorrow is when the 2000 words a day officially starts. I did write today with my small group but didn't keep track of how many words got written. I can tell you that the book is now at 32,377 revised words. Also, my copywriting class began yesterday and I have homework already. Seems to me I now need a schedule.

I already know it's best to write in the morning. If I wait until after lunch, most likely it won't get done. I am most anxious to get the book done and shoved out the door now that the severance nest egg is quickly dwindling. Not that I think I'll make loads of money off the first endeavor. I just want to get on with the next one, get it done so I can move on to the next one after that.

I've probably mentioned this before, but a repeat certainly can't hurt - especially since I'm saying it for my own benefit as much as anyone who happens to be reading this.

My plan has always been to just keep putting my books out there on Kindle, Nook, and any other place it can be self-published, build that audience then maybe go for an agent once that audience is there. I said maybe because I've learned something important about having an agent and being published by one of the big houses - I don't get to keep all the money my books earn.

Now, if I were, say, J.K. Rowling, that might not be such a big deal. As a nobody just getting started and in need of an income - yeah, pretty big deal. I see heads nodding in agreement so I know I'm not alone with that thought.

I understand why, though. An agent hopefully works hard to get their client published. The publishing house works hard to bring that book to the masses. There's also the possibility of that all important advance when agents and publishing houses are involved. On the other hand, self-publishing means the book is out there a lot sooner, so it can start earning a lot sooner. Maybe not a lot to begin with but with more books on the virtual shelf, the better the odds of one of them making it big. Right?

That's my theory, right or wrong.

I know, I know - just putting a book out there doesn't mean it'll sell. There's got to be a little more effort put in and I agree. No one can buy my book if they don't know it's there. That's where social media comes in.

Facebook and their greedy ways aside, there are other ways of selling my wares. This blog is one example and even if Facebook won't share my posts with people who actually want to see them, anything I do post there ends up on Twitter. I can have a website created to feature my books, share that URL around. Lots of free and inexpensive options for getting the word out and probably some I haven't even heard of yet.

Word of mouth is also a way of getting a book known, bought and read by more people. If it's good enough, that is, and I hope it will be by the time my beta readers have torn it apart and I do final revisions based on their suggestions.

One thing must happen first, though. Gotta finish the darn thing.

Tomorrow, 2000 words a day, everyday. More if possible. Book out to the masses - end of the year?

Doable, I think.

No comments: