Sunday, October 26, 2014

NANOWRIMO is almost here!

NANO is less than a week away. Are you ready?

Yeah. Me, neither.

I do have the chapters of my project in outline form now. Scrivener has really helped me out with that and I've discovered that it is much easier to have a sort of outline than it is to wing it. I have 11 chapters in the outline so far but that will probably grow as I flesh out each chapter with a synopsis.

No actual writing has been done yet, I promise. Even if I don't get all of the chapters in synopsis form, with them all outlined on the virtual index cards in Scrivener, I at least know where I want to go with the story.

One thing I am doing, however, is jotting down bits of dialogue as it occurs to me while I'm doing the chapter synopsis. If I don't and if it's good, I'll completely forget it by the time I get to that chapter. If the dialogue still fits, I'll use it.

I have to say that it's been quite difficult not doing the actual writing at this stage. Much harder than I thought it would be. Doing the synopsis has helped but there's still that temptation to just go with it that has to be resisted if I want every word written to count come November 1.

Starting a new project is always exciting so I'm hoping to make a huge dent in the goal during the first week or two. That way, if I do slow down, I'll still be on track to hitting that final goal and perhaps even exceeding it.

If you plan to participate in NANOWRIMO, I wish you happy writing.

No comments: