Friday, August 1, 2014

The Editing Has Begun

And I've already found some sizable holes that need filling. 

I did start writing the scenes tonight that will fill those holes. Amazing how an author can lose sight of something foreshadowed in the beginning but that is what editing is for. I also found a lot of inconsistencies. Like one minute my hero has blue eyes, the next they're green. What? His eyes change color? Nope. Just forgot what I'd already written.

My hero has green eyes, by the way. It's the heroine that has the blue eyes.

Anyway, I'm sure many who are reading this blog right now know exactly what I'm talking about. Unless you're the kind of writer who plots everything else out first so that all you have to do is write the scenes. That's what I'm hoping to do with the next book. I think if I've already got things plotted out, there might be less editing. 

I might also find out otherwise but I'm still up to finding out.

So, that's where I stand at this point. I'm not going to keep a daily word count as I go into this 2nd draft since editing involves more reading and taking notes than actual writing. I think for this, I will go with a minimum time spent editing and rewriting. Let's say 2 hours a day. That's lunch and my hour early in the morning before work during the week. Weekends, I'll wing it - more, less or none. 

I did start to read my scenes from the beginning for my writer's group tonight. They've not heard much of this one as it has been coming to life. Just bits and pieces. Now they'll get the whole thing with some scenes as they are now and some will be as they change. 

In fact, I kind of feel like I'm hearing it for the first time. I've even found myself laughing at parts - parts that are intentionally funny, that is. I've always heard it said that if a writer can move themselves while writing the story, the story has a better chance of moving the reader. I believe that is true. At least, I hope it is. Guess I'll find out once this book is in the hands of my draft readers.

No comments: