Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Mid-Week Writing Update

Hello. Reporting in.

This week I am experimenting with an additional hour of writing time during the week. I can already write on my lunch hour but can't always write 2000 words in an hour. That means there needs to be another chunk of writing time at some point during the day.

A tutorial I took on Writer's Digest, suggested to experiment to see when was the best writing time for me. So on Monday, I got up an hour early and went into work so that I could write for an hour before my start time at 8:00am. Worked out pretty well. Between the morning session and the lunch session, I wrote 2902 words. Couldn't go in early on Tuesday and didn't write when I got home from work so only wrote 1285. Today, I also didn't go in early but in the 1 hour for lunch, I wrote 2150. This was a rewrite for a scene I written yesterday that just didn't come off well. Something happened that totally pulled me out of the scene and I figure if it pulled me out, it would my readers, too, so it had to change. Changing the scene meant the scene after it also changed so I just backed up to the point before the event occurred and started over. The result was a much better scene that makes more sense.

In total, I've written 6337 words since Monday morning - more than made up for not meeting the goal yesterday. Since I started this 2000 a day commitment, I've written  10,889 words. I keep this up, I'll have the novella I'm working on done by the end of this month.

So, that's my goal. Once the first draft is done, I'll do a 2nd draft, to be completed by the end of August, and then I'll turn it over to my writing cohorts so they can tear it apart for me.

Since I have been writing everyday, the ideas have been coming fast and furious. I think that's why it was so easy to back up and rewrite the one scene. I knew what needed to happen and even though I wasn't finished when I stopped at the end of lunch, I will be able to pick back up where I left off and, hopefully, with the same momentum.

I'm hoping to continue with the hour of writing before work. At least a couple of times a week, anyway. It was freeing to know that I had my goal met for the day by the time I got home so I didn't have sit all evening thinking I needed to be doing something. I could if I wanted to, but it wasn't necessary. I'm sure there will come a time when I spend more time getting the writing done but for now, it's baby steps.


No comments: