Friday, November 29, 2013

Gotta Finish It First...

So, I have been writing for (counting on fingers) eighteen years now with nothing to show for it except lots of files containing ideas that started out strong but fizzled before the first chapter got finished.  I'm working on one now that I began sixteen years ago and it no longer resembles what I wrote then.  I guess I've grown and my characters grew right along with me, which caused the story to change.

He was a real jerk in the beginning - mainly because I wanted him that way.  Then a friend read some of his scenes and said to me, "I don't want her to dating him."  What?  You don't like my hero?  So I took another look at how he acted and - well - yeah, he was pretty much a jerk.  He's older now and after everything he's been through, he's wiser and chooses his actions more carefully.....most of the time.  He's caring, sensitive and above all, honorable.  I hope that comes out by the time I quite playing around with the story and finally send it off someplace for other people to read.

She started out as one of those heroines that now get on my nerves.  You know the type - not quite level headed, idealistic, stamps her little foot in a pique when things don't go her way - yeah, that type.  The way she is now, though, she'd be the first one to slap that kind of heroine and tell her to get a grip already.  She doesn't back down easily and especially not from the hero, unless it suits her to do so.  She has her own mind and is not afraid to use it.  Maybe she doesn't think things all the way through but she's pretty confident she can handle anything thrown her way.  Maybe she's a bit too confident and that's one of her flaws, I suppose.

I guess one day I'll get this thing done.  I just gotta quit thinking of new plot lines and finish with the one I'm currently working on.  I can always write a second book.

But I gotta finish this one first.

No comments: